Sunday, January 1, 2012

"Good Will" (and Pattern) Hunting...

Alright, I know that's a terrible title for this post, but it's indicative of what I'm up to. :) This time of year is prime time to hit the GCF and Salvation Army stores, because so much awesome stuff is donated. People get new stuff for Christmas, don't have anywhere to put it, and they end up donating things that are in great condition. Out with the used and in with the new, I always say! ;) Ok, I've NEVER said that, but it might catch on if someone else said it, too. I'm interested in getting some men's button down shirts to try this really cute men's shirt makeover that turns it into a ruffled blouse. The trick is to find one that's a size or so bigger than you wear, and being comfortable with your seam ripper (since a lot of the shirt is cut apart/ripped out before you make the alterations). Raid your man's closet, too, because if yours is like mine, he's got some stained up stuff in there just begging to be re-purposed. Since you're going to be cutting a lot of it away and then covering some with ruffles anyway, you can very likely hide any spots that didn't want to come out in the wash. I'm also hunting up a storm for some new patterns, and just to let you know-Joann's has them on sale until tomorrow (1/2/12) for $0.99! I think there's a limit of 10, but if you take your husband in there, he'll hold some for you, and you can get double. :-D Yup, I'm THAT cheesy when it comes to my pattern needs. Another great idea that I adopted in the aftermath that happened on December 26th-go and buy up stuff that is marked as 'defective' or 'irregular', because sometimes you can save mega bucks (over 50% in my case!) because there's a pulled hem, or because a button or two has been pulled out by overzealous shoppers trying things on. I got several pieces at Old Navy (out of state, but it doesn't really matter) that were considered 'damaged' for these reasons, but they are a quick fix. Tons of items get thrown out or donated every season because people think it's going to take tons of time or energy or money to get them fixed. IT WON'T. :-D Tailoring something is WAY cheaper than going totally new, and if your family is like mine, we need every penny! Feel free to add a comment that describes your amazing finds! I love to learn from others!

No comments:

Post a Comment